CCBC, formerly the Craftsmen’s Association of British Columbia was created by interested members of the Visual Arts Committee of the Community Arts Council of Vancouver in recognition of the growing craft community in British Columbia.
CCBC’s first office, resource centre and exhibit space was located in the Dominion Building at the corner of Hastings and Cambie Street, in downtown Vancouver. In December 1979, CCBC moved its operations to 1411 Cartwright Street in the newly developed Granville Island – a project of the federal government through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
CCBC’s gallery, the Cartwright Street Gallery was originally a separate society with its own Board of Directors, staff and programming. In 1985 CCBC moved across the street to its current premises at 1386 Cartwright Street and opened Crafthouse, a gallery and shop for fine contemporary craft in May 1986. In 1990, the Cartwright Street Gallery became the Canadian Craft Museum located at Cathedral Place, Hornby Street, Vancouver from 1992 until it closed in 2002. Some of British Columbia’s leading craftspeople – individuals who have made an important contribution to craft and who have worked for many years in the discipline in which they are recognized – were in the collection. The collection currently resides with the City of Vancouver in storage at the Museum of Vancouver.