In celebration of Craft Year 2015 the Vancouver Guild of Fibre Art presents a conference looking to the land, re-using materials and adapting technologies to serve the innovative and creative spirit that working in textiles has always represented. In the lead up to the Textile Intersections: Sustainability and Technology Conference, we asked key note speakers from ReVision the Art of Recycling Society some questions!
Tell us a little bit about your journey as an artist?
ReVision – the Art of Recycling Society promotes recycling through exhibitions and demonstrations of art made from or using recycled materials. ReVision held its first show in October 2007 to celebrate Canada-wide Waste Reduction Week and to provide a showcase for artists using recycled materials as a major component of their work. We incorporated as a non-profit society in February 2011. Since 2007 we have showcased hundreds of artists’ works.
Carl Anderson (President and Co-Founder)
– is an engineer. One of his most memorable projects was the development of parking meters to accept credit cards. If you can dream it, Carl can design and build it. His sculptures often include computer and/or electronic elements.
– favourite materials = things that light up and move
– favourite tools = computer and iPad
Janet Lee (Secretary/Treasurer and Co-Founder)
– has operated an environmental consulting company with her husband for the past 40 years. She is a mixed media artists who mixes traditional and digital techniques.
– favourite materials = paper and plastic
– favourite tools = die cutting machine and heat gun
Lorraine Kwan (Director)
– is a graduate of Ontario College of Art in material arts. She is active in international mail art as well as creates wearable art
– favourite materials = buttons and envelopes
– favourite tool = sewing machine
Ron Simmer (Director)
– is a patent researcher assisting inventors to register their inventions. His metal sculptures are usually large and meant for outdoors
– favourite materials = empty fire extinguishers
– favourite tool = welder
What emotional response do people have when they view your work or hold it in their hands?
Viewers are always amazed at what can be done with recycled materials.
They love to study what materials have been used and marvel at the stories behind both the finding of the materials and the creation of the art.
What do you do when you are not creating?
– favourite pastime besides creating – bicycling and canoeing, preferably in a rural location
– favourite pastime besides creating – garage sales, thrift sales, yard sale and sometimes dumpster diving
– favourite pastime besides creating – participating and attending trash fashions shows throughout North America
– favourite pastime besides creating – participating and attending art events throughout the world, like Burning Man
What are you most looking forward to at the conference?
Response from viewers as they move in closer for a better look.
When then they stop and smile, we stop and smile.
Their curiosity to know how it was done allows us to tell the artist’s story as well as promote recycling.
Want to find ReVision – the Art of Recycling Society online? Find them here.
If you have any questions about the conference email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When: September 26 and 27, 2015
Where: Granville Island Hotel, Granville Island, Vancouver, BC