Happenings in Craft
3rd Annual Earring Show
Call for Artists
Presented by the
Craft Council of BC and the
Vancouver Metal Arts Association
The Earring Show is back! Now in its third year, the Earring Show is an exciting exhibit and sales opportunity for contemporary art jewelers.
This year The Earring Show will be held as a one night only fundraiser on Saturday, May 7th, to raise funds for CCBC’s and VMAA’s education programs. We are inviting both production jewelry artists and art jewelers from the Pacific Northwest to come together to showcase diverse examples of earrings handcrafted in every shape, size, material and concept.
There will also be a competition where our panel of celebrity judges (to be revealed later) select the best examples of contemporary earrings to win first, second or third prize in each category of production earrings or one-of-a-kind earrings.
The Production Jewelry Category is for your bread and butter pieces – earrings that are easy to wear and that can move seamlessly from day to night.
The One-Of-A-Kind Category is for earrings that take a little longer to create and use materials in new or different ways that are not easily replicated. OOAK pieces are a little more adventurous in design and ask a little more of their wearer- they are statement pieces!
We want both for the Earring Show! We know that many jewelers work in both categories and shine brilliantly in each so show us your savvy production designs and your outrageous one-of-a-kind pieces. We want a little bit of something for everyone!
Deadline to apply is: 11:59pm on Sunday, April 3rd, 2016
A $10 non-refundable application fee is payable for each entry. If you plan to enter earrings into each category you will have to complete separate applications and pay the application fee for both entries. If we do not receive the application fee, your earrings will not be considered by the jury.
– This exhibition and sale of only earrings is juried. Decisions made by the jury are final.
– It is open to jewelers from the Pacific Northwest (B.C., Washington and Oregon)
– The minimum retail price for production earrings is $50 and the maximum retail price is $500. There is no price range for One-Of-A-Kind earrings
– Applicants may submit up to 10 photographs of different earring designs per category representing actual work available for sale, but only 2 designs per artist will be selected per category due to limited space
– All submissions must be original, demonstrate a high skill level and must be fabricated by the artist submitting – Submissions must comprise techniques related to metalsmithing and/or contemporary jewelry
– Jurors may determine that a submission best belongs in the category not originally selected by the artist at their discretion.
– Accepted applicants will be notified by April 7th, 2016
– Accepted works must be delivered to Crafthouse, 1386 Cartwright St. Granville Island, Vancouver, B.C. by April 29, 2016
– CCBC and VMAA reserve the right to refuse work upon delivery that is not as represented in the submitted photograph(s).
– Accepted artists will receive 50% of the retail sale of their earrings, with the remaining proceeds going towards CCBC and the VMAA
– In the event of damage or loss by shoplifting, CCBC will pay the artist 50% of the retail value to a maximum of $250 per piece; or there is limited insurance coverage for loss and/or damage of jewelry due to an insured peril. If the total wholesale value of ALL jewelry stolen and/or damaged from all affected artists is more than $1000, CCBC will pay the artist a price prorated to the total value of the claim subject to a total limit of $10,000 for ALL jewelry items stolen and/or damaged
– The prizes for the competition TBA.
Information you will need to have prepared prior to submitting your application
note: all information can be cut and pasted into the application form
– contact info including social media links if available
– up to 100-word Artist Bio
– up to 100-word Artist Statement about the work you are submitting
– a list of the work you are considering that corresponds to the photos supplied
– the price range for your work
– the materials used in your work
– submit up to 10 images of your submission
– Photos must be jpeg only format: 300 dpi; Size: 4” x 6”
– Photographs of pieces submitted must be clearly labeled with artist’s last name and numbered ie mckay01, mckay02